Angel3-5 Islington High Street
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
The Angel was built on the site of Angel Picturehouse (1929), it became pub in 1992. The adjacent tower was also a part of the picture house that was sadly mostly demolished, being one of the first talkie cinemas. With the long gone Philharmonic Hall (subsequently the Grand Theatre) this has always been a centre of popular entertainment. Apparently, its classic columns and caryatids can be seen in the Museum of London. John Betjeman lived nearby as he wrote in his poem Summoned by Bells. It is a large, modern, open plan conversion, with some booths, giving slightly more privacy, towards the back. The pub sits virtually opposite the Angel tube station.
Following CAMRA's updated definition of "real cider", pubs such as this selling for example Old Rosie and other ciders such as Thistly Cross, Stans, Gwynt Y Draig, Broadoak etc. no longer qualify for the "Real cider" tag.