Knights Templar95 Chancery Lane
Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic this pub is currently offering additional services:
Re-opens on the 4th of July. See website for details.more information...
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
The Knights Templar, a military order founded in the 12th century which rendered service to the Crown as bankers until dissolved by the Pope in 1312, owned land on which Chancery Lane was built and this imposing Wetherspoon's conversion, which bears its name, of a former banking hall appeared in the film of "The Da Vinci Code".
The building and its front railings are Grade II listed. The scroll of the original Union Bank of London is seen above the entrance, which leads into a grand high-ceilinged bar with many original decorative features retained and enhanced, including magnificent fluted and scroll-topped slender columns supporting the ochre-painted ceiling with its illustrated panels and large chandeliers.
A long curved wooden bar counter, equipped with brass footrests, runs most of the length of one side, with a metal sculpture of a knight as the centrepiece of the ornate back bar. Tall windows provide plenty of light reflected in the long mirrors hung from the cream painted walls. A variety of seating areas are provided with both tiled and carpeted flooring. Towards the rear are several large round stone-topped tables near the grand oak staircase down to the toilets. Silent TV screens show news or sport.
Stairs to the rear, topped by a prominent clock, lead to three interconnected mezzanine rooms, two of them wood panelled with library shelving and balconies overlooking the main bar. These may be reserved for groups, whilst the whole pub can be hired for private functions on Saturday evenings and Sundays.
The venue is licensed for wedding ceremonies which may result in its closure for the whole of a Saturday - if you are planning to visit then, a phone call to check is strongly advised.