Blue Lion133 Grays Inn Road
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
On a visit in mid-Jan 2022 just the one cask beer - a reflection of the lack of footfall and trade in this area at present. It was mind a fine drop of Hophead.
Following its sale by Greene King, this is now an independently run free-of-tie house. Expect to see a changing range of cask beers as a result. In November 2018 the range included beers from Three Sods, Twickenham, Hammerton and Watney (brewed at Sambrook's).
The former central bar has service just to the left side, the other side being given over to seating booths, a feature repeated around the pub. A mixture of high tables and comfy chairs and sofas enable good use of space. The front of the bar is illuminated by large picture windows, while at the back, overlooking a pool table, are leaded windows with coloured infill. Interesting fireplaces have been retained in the new layout. Entry is available off Brownlow Mews at the rear, which also provides for smokers, but only on Thursdays and Fridays from noon to 14:30 and 17:30 to 20:30.
There has been a Blue Lion on Gray's Inn Road since 1627, although its original location was across the road, next to St Andrew's burial ground. The pub moved to its current location in 1824 and was completely rebuilt in 1936. An article from The St Pancras Chronicle in March 1972 describes how the current building was nearly demolished to make way for a new office complex.