Museum Tavern49 Great Russell Street
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
A magnificent Victorian pub opposite the British Museum, a CAMRA Heritage Pub. Originally the Dog and Duck stood on this site, signifying local duck hunting. John Creed became landlord in 1762 and initiated the name British Museum Tavern, to identify the pub with the nearby collection, which was being developed from specimens collected by Sir Hans Sloane. William Finch Hill designed the 1855 redevelopment with the ground floor front and classic mahogany back bar fitting being evident today.
1889 saw another redesign of the interior by architects Wylson and Long. Finch's classical style was partly preserved as five separate bars were created, with partitions and decorations of stained glass. Two rare examples of these stained glass windows survive in the bar today, an essential part of any visit. Five bars were reduced to three in 1935 becoming one in the 1960s. The five sets of entrance doors are all that remains of this arrangement today.
Traditional pub food is served. Pre pandemic this was a rare regular outlet for Old Peculier but as at Nov 2021 it has not come back and neither have any guest beers. Ciders such as Weston's no longer meet CAMRA's definition of "real cider".