Magdala2a South Hill Park
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Operated by the team behind the The Sussex Arms in Twickenham and The Express Tavern in Kew, The Magdala is an independent pub with 20 keg beers and 7 cask ales. The original 1885 pub, named after Lord Napier of Magdala, was rebuilt by Charrington's in the inter-war period. The interior is welcoming, clean and bright, with bar stools, wooden tables and chairs in both rooms. There is a small outdoor area with a few seats. Excellent Sunday roasts. Dog friendly pub.
Sold by Punch in the summer of 2014 to an offshore property developer, its future became threatened. Local activists succeeded in getting it listed as an Asset of Community Value. It re-opened briefly in summer 2015 but soon closed again.
Early 2021 saw a careful restoration of the wooden panelling throughout the ground floor bar and dining areas, with new sections of wood blending with the original paneling in the bar area at the back of the pub (where the toilets used to be). The green stained glass has been replicated in the dining area, letting in lots of natural light.
The function room on the first floor has not been reopened to date, but hopefully in future it will be available to the local community as an important meeting place.